Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Back to School


Dear Diary,

After getting situated in Solitude, spending the night and dropping some things off, I left for Morthal.  The pommel of the Razor was much easier to find.  I spotted the owner as soon as I entered town working at the saw mill.  He sold it for rather cheap considering it was a family heirloom.

On my way back to return the two of three pieces to Silus Vesius, I came across an old ruin deep in a cavern.  Looking down into the buildings I saw several bandits going about their day.  The buildings were laid out in such a way there was a large alley right in front of me, down in the cavern, with the only exit on the far side.  I chose my first target, a man on the far side sitting at the table and he fell with one arrow silently.  The noise of him gagging and falling out of his chair caught the attention of three more right below me and they went to investigate.  One fell, and the others realized what was going on and booked it for the far end and exit.  I caught one halfway down but missed the other  as he turned on his heel to run through the door.  He signaled to one other on the way out, but his throat was impaled before he finished.  It was enough to get the attention of the guard on the far side of the courtyard in a tower, and we exchanged an arrow or two before she fell.

I listened for a moment to make sure they were all dead, and carefully dropped down into the alley.  I searched the bodies and chests, and on a table found a note from a collector asking the men to search for something in the ruins, but I didn't really have time for that, and I moved on.  I checked the final body, the woman in the tower, and heard a massive roar.  I've seen enough dragons to know the roar of one, but this one was different, much louder and seeming to  carry slightly different.  I left the tower and lept upon a rocky ledge next to it, drawing Aether and looking for the beast.  I spotted it to the south, and landed an arrow to get it's attention.  It wasn't that large so I did not understand it's massive voice.  It circled around and landed in front of me, and I continued to pepper the beast with arrows, it's maw bloodied and left wing crippled.  As I considered drawing my mace and closing with the dragon, there was a massive crash behind me and I was knocked to the ground.  I turned and looked, and it was a second dragon!  This one was much larger and I suddenly felt less secure in defeating the first.  I put a couple arrows into the new big dragon and it seemed to just bounce off it's hide.  I ran and slid behind some rocks to shield from what was now twice the firey breath.  I popped up and shot the weaker dragon some more.  Focusing on it was probably my only way out of this fight.

This went on for a few moments - myself dodging fire then firing an arrow into the weakened dragon.  It was almost dead but I was almost out of arrows, and there was a perfectly healthy dragon right next to it!  I retreated further and dove behind a large totem I thought was of the Forsworn.  I was afraid of also running into them but the camp was awful small to be Forsworn, and I saw no tents.  Turning my attention back to the dragons, the larger one was now right on the other side of the totem, and the second flying overhead.  The totem shielded me from the direct heat of the constant blast, and it seemed the larger dragon was keeping me pinned down while the other circled around. Things were looking pretty grim, when I heard a massive thump and a scream from the larger dragon.  The fire stopped so I turned and looked, and was very relieved to see a giant wailing on the big dragon!  The beast cowered a bit and screamed with each massive thump to the head.  I wasted no time and returned to the weaker dragon, firing my last few arrows into it's wings.  Falling to the ground I ran up, dodged a weary attempt at a bite, and put the foul thing out of it's misery.  I turned to look at the scuffle behind me just in time to see the giant land one heavy blow on the dragon's head, which finally killed it. I am still unsure of the language or attitudes of the giant's, but as it stood there looking at me I assumed it meant well, so I waved and said thank you, and he wandered off.

I checked my map and the stars and regained my bearings.  I was halfway to Dawnstar and thought I might make it before midnight, so I set out quickly.  I luckily saw no more dragons, but did run into a Vigilant of Stendarr.  It was nice to run into someone else from Cyrodiil.

I arrived at Dawnstar late in the night, and quickly stopped by Silus' house and dropped off the two parts to the dagger.  I spent the night in the inn and this time went around the north side of town to go to the College, and saw a very foreboding door adorned with a skull and skeletons.  I walked up and put my hand on it and heard a very eerie voice ask me a question I can no longer recall.  I didn't answer, and just ran off towards Winterhold.


When I arrived something strange was going on.  Everyone was gathered in the main courtyard and I ran past to see what was happening.  Inside there was a large field of magic in front of the door.  Ancano was doing something to the Eye of Magnus and refused to let anyone in.  No one knew what he was doing, but I knew being a Thalmor he was likely up to no good.  I helped the Archmage bust down the door and we ran inside and confronted Ancano, but as we drew near there was a massive explosion and I was knocked unconscious.  I awoke to a voice, the woman who introduced me to the college was alive, but the Archmage was not so lucky.  There was no time to mourn as it seemed Ancano was gaining power and made a new shield right in front of the Eye.  I knew it was time to go to Labrynthian to get the Staff of Magnus which would hopefully aid us in stopping Ancano.  I am gathering my things and leaving you in my quarters at the College for now, I will write you again when I return.

Until next time,

- ST

No comments:

Post a Comment