Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Mudcrab Army


Dear Diary,

Yesterday I set out from Whiterun to finish my journey to the ruins north of Morthal, to retrieve the golden horn of an old Jarl.  Apparently this will prove I am a dragonborn, and if so I am hoping they have some more powerful words for me.

The journey was long, and I stuck to the road until I came to the river, staying just off course and watching for anyone traveling, or looking to attack travelers.  I did run into a few bandit camps, and points of interest for later.  Most interesting was a fort held by some bandits.  I wonder if I could make good use of that when I am done fetching for the Greybeards.  I am ready to settle down a bit as I have been to and from all over the continent but haven't stopped to enjoy anything.

I turned the road and began to follow the river and the assortment of animals began to change.  I took a break and stopped for a minute for a bite.  Looking at my old dry cheese and half empty bottle of warm wine I heard a splash.  There were dozens of salmon jumping in some rapids ahead, which gave me an idea.  I slowly walked up to the edge, careful of my footing and as soon as the opportunity presented itself, I grabbed one!  I apologized to my animal brother for what I had to do, and proceeded to eat the delicious fish.  I wasn't too keen on some parts, but I did not want to waste any of it.  As I washed my hands in the river, I heard a growl and turned to see two sabre cats had picked up the scent.  I tried to stay calm and show that I was not only not  a threat but also not a meal.  They persisted so I unfortunately had to put them down.  I took their fur and what meat I could and carried on.

As I rounded the mountainside the terrain began to change from green valley to a frozen swamp.  I tread carefully as I wasn't sure what dangerous things, alive or otherwise, would call such a place home.  As I walked I began to get more comfortable and I admit I let my guard down.  I stopped at one point to admire the scenery when I heard a commotion behind me.  I turned to see no less than a half dozen mudcrabs coming my way!  I pulled out my weapon and shield and braced myself for the wave of chitin to crash into me, but as I winced and pulled back my mace...they simply passed me.  What could be more interesting to  pack of angry mudcrabs? I turned and my heart sank...a massive dragon!

The dragon was soaring in and scorching a bear and another mudcrab.  To the defense of the animals and with my army of squeaking critters I ran and drew my bow.  The bear fell first, but not without doing a great amount of damage to the beast.  With the bear dead, he set upon my mudcrab friends.  One fell, two fell, as I let loose arrow after arrow into the dragon.  The crabs were a great distraction, crawling around the dragon it tried to buck them and could not choose which one to attack.  I took the opportunity and drew my mace, and landed the killing blow on the foul thing.  It let out a scream and slumped, and I absorbed it's soul.  Its adversary gone, the crabs stopped and turned.  I expected a thank you but they now turned on me!  I knew they didn't understand who I was, or what just happened, so I let them be and moved on to Morthal.

I wish I could say I had a pleasant stay at Morthal, but let's just say my nights were busier than my days as they had quite the undead problem.  I did help out the townspeople, took a bed for the night, and today finished my walk to the ruins.  There is a bedroll here right before the entrance, so I will stop for now and hope this unfortunate soul on the other side of the pit stays dead.  

Until next time.

- ST

No comments:

Post a Comment