Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Own Place of Solitude


Dear Diary,

After my bout with the Hagraven I went east towards my next objective - reforging the Gaulder amulet.  The mountains east of Markarth are quite steep and a bit confusing, but on the bright side I found several interesting places around my destination.

The entrance to the final tomb was not much different than the others - a large cave with a door on one end.  I walked up to a small bridge in front of the door to find a dead man holding another dragon claw key, which I quickly swiped along with a note left by the original builders for my own collection.  The tomb itself was surprisingly empty.  I crept along expecting some sort of Draugr ambush, but it was simply three long halls, each with a door requiring one of the three claw keys.  I couldn't help but think back to the places I had been around the world as I pulled out each one and used it to proceed.

At the end was another large room, but this time filled with caskets and an altar on one end. There were three small pedestals on the altar, which I assumed were for the three amulets, and upon placing them, reforged into one!  I turned to leave but I heard a strange noise and turned.  Above the altar three ghosts appeared - the three brothers had returned!

The first one used a spell to teleport down to my level.  It looked like they were going to fight one by one.  The first brother was time consuming, but not difficult.  He was very sturdy but his blows were easy to block and he had no magic. The second brother was much more difficult.  He pulled the same trick as before, but this time made three other copies of himself each with a ghostly copy of the enchanted bow (which I still had in my pack, and used against them!). The fight seemed to last for hours, and I was forced to often retreat and use restoration magics and potions  of healing.  After a while it became easy to tell which one was the real brother, and after many dozen arrows he finally fell.

The third brother was the most difficult of all.  He didn't look like much at first as he charged with a mace, but he soon revealed more powerful magic in the form of a frost atronach which seemed invulnerable to my bow and Mr. Frosty (hindsight - don't enchant both weapons with the same element..).  As I tried my best to stay away from the giant ice man, I managed to put some arrows into the brother, however he pulled out another trick up his sleeve - a shout.  Every time I landed an arrow he would knock my bow out of my hands!  The battle was long, and my final strategy was to shoot him once and freeze him solid right after.  This still did nothing for the frost beast, which proved annoying, but simply delayed the inevitable.  After what was probably an hour the final brother fell.  Atop the altar their ghosts dissipated, finally able to rest for eternity.

I left the cave admiring my new trinkets, and headed north.  I had more goodies than I could carry and decided to return to Solitude, instead of going east as usual.  The trek to Solitude was fairly uneventful.  In the two days it took to sell all my leftover items, I also did some errands for the Jarl.  They were so impressed with my work that they offered to sell me a house, which I gladly took them up on!  It was quite expensive but I love Solitude, and figure I can keep the Whiterun house for storage and a stop to rest at.

So I will finish writing from my new house, and tomorrow set out for Dawnstar to return this Hagraven's little gem thing to the Mythic Dawn museum.

Until next time.

- ST

No comments:

Post a Comment